A class with people practicing yoga, sweating “in seas” since they are more than 40 degrees as if they were doing yoga on the beach in the middle of August. Have you seen it in your gym the benefits of bikram yoga?
It is Bikram Yoga and was born 40 years ago, but it is establishing in worldwide from the last decade. It is a variant of physical yoga, based on the performance of postures to reach meditation. The novelty is that it is done in rooms at 42 degrees and very high humidity, making heat and sweat a fundamental element.
WHAT IS BIKRAM YOGA
“Yoga poses are intended for temperature in India and the benefits of heat vasodilatation. ” Jonathan Martín, one of the teachers and promoters of this modality, explains it. Yoga adds the benefits of vasodilatation by heat
Bikram Yoga recovers 26 of the 84 classical positions of Hatha Yoga. The heat, “which is nothing more than that of a steamy day in Valencia,” says Martín, helps to carry out some of the postures. They are performing in a 90-minute session, where two breathing exercises will practice.
THE BENEFITS OF PRACTICING BIKRAM YOGA
The main ones are the same as those obtained in other variants of physical yoga, in addition to those provided by more significant vasodilation by heat. It would be something like adding a little sauna to the training, that’s why it is also called Hot Yoga.
IT MAY INTEREST YOU
- Improve flexibility, as the heat allows you to complete some exercises more efficiently and shortens the time you do it.
- Strengthens the muscles by practicing Bikram yoga.
- It improves cardiovascular condition sin general.
- You clean toxins from the body since you usually sweat a liter of water per session.
- You get full relaxation, in this case, similar to other yoga practices.
DO YOU HAVE RISKS OF THIS MODALITY IN PRACTICE BIKRAM YOGA
It is a type of yoga that is not very aggressive in terms of postures. There is none in an inverted position, for example. Almost all can be done almost from the first day with a little practice.
Therefore it is open to practically anyone who has been practicing yoga for a long time. But it is demanding, and there are some limits.
- Pregnant women the first months, because there are postures in which you press the abdomen.
- People with cardiovascular problems, since heat increases the heart rate.
It can cause heat stroke or dizziness and nausea in people with some pathology.
- Older people, since they are more likely to have heat stroke. Although Martín points out that people over the age of seventy attend classes.
- Children under 14 years of age, as they have not fully developed their thermal system.
Also, some logical factors make it better that you do not practice Bikram Yoga that day. For example, if you come from a night in which you have drunk much alcohol. You will be dehydrated and not suitable to practice it. Chances are you will be dizzy or nauseous.
TIPS FOR A FIRST CLASS FOR BENEFITS OF BIKRAM YOGA
The fundamental thing well advice in the class. Starting on your own is like running a marathon in high heels.
A poorly done practice can lead you to have bad feelings at the end of the hour and a half, and, logically, you do not want to repeat. Do not hesitate to consult and explain under what conditions you come. A good coach will know how to indicate the most suitable rhythm for your profile.
- Don’t try to force yourself and follow the rest from day one. It is convenient that you stand near the door and rest for a while.
- Wear light clothing. For them, we recommend shorts or swimsuit. Preferably tank top. For them, pink workout leggings or shorts. Never too loose clothes
- It’s essential to eat at least two to three hours before class and, of course, hydrate yourself very often.
- If you are not a flexible person, it is normal that you feel some pain at the end of the first session. The best way to ease the discomfort is to return the next day.
BIKRAM YOGA IS BETTER
It is not bad, just as no yoga practice is terrible. But it is also not scientifically proven that it is more beneficial than the classic.
The latest serious study by the University of Texas professors concluded that it brings the same benefits as yoga at a lower temperature.
A recent study concludes that the results are the same as in a regular class. The study has compared several people before and after a few months of practice at several different yoga centers. It concludes that the cardiovascular and flexibility benefits were comparable in both.
SO MUCH SWEAT AND EXERCISE RELAXES THE BODY
The subject of physical yoga is always surrounding by controversy. Purists say that meditation can only achieve immobile. Coach Jonathan Martín admits that physical yoga is a westernization.
But he defends it since our way of life makes it very difficult to finish the daily work and to be able to meditate. Through exercise, you can reduce stress. You go into active meditation.
“It is a” beating, “but in which you are focusing, so as not to lose your balance and you end up relaxed, almost floating,” he concludes.